Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a small tree native to Australia. Tea Tree is well known for its ability to fight bacteria and reduce skin inflammation. Several studies have shown that applying 5% tea tree oil to the skin effectively reduces acne and also helps in removing the blemishes caused by acne.
How to Use It:
- Mix 1 part of tea tree oil with 9 parts water.
- Dip a cotton swab into the mixture and apply it to affected areas.
- Apply moisturizer if desired.
- Repeat this process 1–2 times per day, as needed.
Green tea is very high in antioxidants, and drinking it can promote good health. There are many products in the market that contain green tea as a main ingredient including face washes, exfoliators and mask. Greet tea also works wonders for acne prone skin. This is likely because the flavonoids and tannins in green tea are known to help fight bacteria and reduce inflammation, which are two main causes of acne.
How to Use It:
- Steep green tea in boiling water for 3–4 minutes.
- Allow tea to cool.
- Using a cotton ball, apply tea to skin or pour into a spray bottle to spritz on.
- Allow to dry, then rinse with water and pat dry.
Prominent for its aromatic smell and flavor, this ingredient is packed with many properties. Traditionally, this medical herb has been used to treat stomach ache, chest pain and bowel syndrome. Cleansing properties in mint also helps to heal acne and also reduce the blemishes and acne scars.
How to make mint mask:
- Take fresh mint leaves crush or grind them if you can.
- Apply the paste directly on the face and leave it to dry naturally.
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
Aspirin contains salicylic acid, which is an active ingredient in many acne fighting products. Salicylic acid also acts as a drying agent, which is can help sop up excess oil that clogs pores and leads to acne. Also, aspirin is an anti-inflammatory drug making it a perfect solution to reduce your acne problems
How to use it:
- Mix a few uncoated aspirin pills with just enough water to make a paste
- Apply the mask in a thin layer on your face, then allow it to dry.
- Remove it with warm water, rinsing away the mask in gentle circular motions.